Food and Beverage M&A Update
- The Food & Beverage industry index fell 1.03% in Q1 2022 but outperformed the S&P 500 index, which fell 5.55% in the same period.
- M&A deal volume was down 43% to 177 completed transactions in Q1 2022 from 313 deals in Q4 2021 and down 12.8% from 203 deals in Q1 of the prior year.
- Strategic buyers accounted for 64.4% of deal volume in Q1 2022 vs PE investors with 35.6%.
- North America was the most active region in Q1. Europe had the most notable deal of the quarter, which was the $1.9 billion acquisition of Chipita by Mondelez International.
- From Q4 2021 to Q1 2022, valuation multiples trended lower while stock prices saw an uptick in the last two weeks of March.