Healthcare M&A Update
- M&A deal volume was down significantly to 780 completed transactions in Q2 2022 compared to 933 deals in Q1 and 1,199 deals in Q2 of the prior year.
- Total capital invested decreased to $72 billion in Q2 2022 from $76 billion in Q1 and $113 billion in Q2 of the prior year.
- PE investors accounted for 52.9% of deal volume in Q2 2022 vs. Strategic Buyers with 47.1%. PE’s share of total volume is down slightly from 2021 at 54.7%.
- Oracle’s acquisition of healthcare IT provider Cerner for $28.3 billion represented the largest healthcare transaction during the quarter.
- From Q1 2022 to Q2 2022, public equities in the healthcare sector (S&P 500 Healthcare Index) declined 7.1% compared to a 16.7% decline in the overall S&P 500 index.