Healthcare M&A Update
- M&A deal volume in the healthcare sector saw a slight pullback in Q4 2021 to 1,040 deals, down 7.4% from 1,123 deals in Q3 2021.
- Total capital invested decreased 54.9% in Q4 2021 to $110.6B from $245B in Q3 2021 and 13.7% from $128.1B in Q4 2020.
- PE investors accounted for 54.7% of deal volume in 2021 vs Strategic buyers with 45.3%.
- The acquisition of Pharmaceutical Product Development by Thermo Fisher Scientific (NYS: TMO) for $17.4B represented the largest Healthcare deal in Q4 2021.
- Stock prices trended higher in Q4 2021 from prior year levels while valuation multiples generally remained consistent.