Industrials M&A Update
- The Industrials industry index increased 2.8% in Q1 2023 but underperformed the S&P 500 index, which increased 7.5% during the quarter.
- M&A deal volume in the Industrials sector increased 1.4% in Q1 2023 to 504 completed transactions from 497 in Q4 2022 and 9.3% from 461 deals in the same period of the prior year.
- Total capital invested in M&A deals in the Industrials sector increased 43.8% in Q1 2023 to $15.1B from $10.5B in Q4 2022.
- In Q1 2023, PE Buyers accounted for 38.7% of total deals in the Industrials sector compared to 45.7% in the prior year.
- Europe was the most active region in Q1 2023 with 227 deals. Most notably in Europe was the $4.4 billion acquisition of Howden Group by Chart Industries in March 2023.