Packaging M&A Update
- The Dow Jones U.S. Cotnainers & Packaging Index rose 20.2% in 2021 but underperformed the Dow Jones Industrial Average Index, which increased 11.6% for the year.
- M&A deal volume increased significantly in Q4 to 92 completed transactions from 58 in Q3 2021 and from 63 in Q4 of the prior year.
- In 2021, PE accounted for 60.1% of 281 total deals in the Packaging sector compared to 54.8% in the prior year.
- North America was the most active region in Q4 2021 with 42 deals, followed by Europe with 40.
- Stock prices trended higher while valuation multiples generally trended down.