Packaging M&A Update
- The Dow Jones U.S. Containers & Packaging Index declined 12.7% in Q2 2022 and underperformed the Dow Jones Industrial Average Index, which decreased 10.8% for the quarter.
- M&A deal volume increased significantly in Q2 2022 to 65 completed transactions from 44 in Q1 2022 and decreased from 69 in Q2 of the prior year.
- In 1H 2022, PE accounted for 45% of total deals in the Packaging sector compared to 60.1% in the prior year.
- Europe was the most active region in Q2 2022 with 28 deals. Most notably was the $216 million acquisition of SIG Combibloc Group by an undisclosed buyer in May 2022.
- Publicly traded stocks in the Packaging sector trended lower in Q2 and total capital invested dropped 46.5% compared to Q2 of the prior year.