Packaging M&A Update
- The Dow Jones U.S. Containers & Packaging Index rose by 0.5% in Q1 2023 and outperformed the Dow Jones Industrial Average Index, which increased 0.4% in the quarter.
- M&A deal volume decreased 26.1% in Q1 2023 to 51 completed transactions from 69 in Q4 2022 but increased 15.9% compared to the 44 deals in Q1 of the prior year.
- In Q1 2023, PE accounted for 47.1% of total deals in the Packaging sector compared to 44.0% in the prior year.
- Europe was the most active region in Q1 2023 with 27 deals. Most notably was the $1.1 billion acquisition of De Jong Verpakking by Stora Enso in January 2023.
- As a % of total capital invested in M&A transactions in Q1, PE participation decreased significantly to 0.4%, down from 10.6% in 2022.