Packaging M&A Update
- The Dow Jones U.S. Containers & Packaging Index declined 1.0% in Q1 2022 and outperformed the Dow Jones Industrial Average Index, which decreased 5.5% for the quarter.
- M&A deal volume decreased significantly in Q1 2022 to 44 completed transactions from 92 in Q4 2021 and from 62 in Q1 of the prior year.
- In Q1 2022, PE accounted for 47.7% of 44 total deals in the Packaging sector compared to 60.1% in the prior year.
- Europe was the most active region in Q1 2022 with 26 deals. Most notably was Pasaca Capital’s $123.9 million acquisition of KraftPal in February 2022.
- Stock prices trended lower and total capital invested in Q1 2022 dropped 66.7% compared to the same time period of the prior year.