Transportation and Logistics M&A Update
- The Transportation & Logistics (“T&L”) industry index rose 6.68% in Q4 2021 and underperformed the S&P 500 index, which increased 9.68% in the same period.
- Total capital invested in M&A transactions increased 341.2% in Q4 2021 to $100.6B from $22.8B in Q3, and 650.7% from $13.4B in the same period of the prior year.
- In 2021, PE investors declined as a % of total capital to 37.0% from 54.1% in 2020 compared to strategic buyers increasing to 63.0% from 45.9% in the same period.
- North America was the most active region in Q4 2021 followed by Europe.
- Stock prices and valuation multiples generally edged higher in Q4 2021 from Q3 levels.