Transportation and Logistics M&A Update
- The Transportation & Logistics (“T&L”) industry index declined 21.4% in Q2 2022 and underperformed the S&P 500 index, which declined 16.7% in the same period.
- Total capital invested in M&A transactions in the T&L sector increased 61.3% in Q2 2022 to $39.2B from $24.3B in the prior quarter.
- In 1H 2022, PE investors increased to 84.1% of total capital invested in M&A transactions from 37.0% in 2021, compared to strategic buyers who decreased from 63% to 15.9% in the same period.
- Europe was the most active region in Q2 2022 with 88 deals completed, closely followed by the US with 80. The largest deal during the quarter was Blackstone’s growth investment in Mileway of $26B in April 2022.
- Publicly traded stocks in the T&L sector trended lower in Q2 2022 and valuation multiples (EV/Rev) in M&A transactions dipped slightly in 2022 compared to the prior year.