Transportation and Logistics M&A Update
- The Transportation & Logistics (“T&L”) industry index declined 7.4% in Q3 2022 and underperformed the S&P 500 index, which declined 6.4% in the same period.
- Total capital invested in M&A transactions in the T&L sector decreased 55.1% in Q3 2022 to $17.6B from $39.2B in the prior quarter and 22.8% compared to Q3 of the prior year.
- YTD through Q3 2022, PE investors represented 66.6% of total capital invested in M&A transactions, up from 37.0% in 2021, compared to strategic buyers whose share decreased from 63% to 33.4% during the respective periods.
- Europe was the most active region in Q3 2022 with 98 deals. Most notably in Europe was the $1.2 billion acquisition of Siemens Logistics’ Mail and Parcel Business by Körber in July 2022.
- Publicly traded stocks monitored in this report in the Packaging sector declined an average of 15.0% in Q3 and total capital invested dropped 22.8% compared to Q3 of the prior year.